"X" Run Feb. 9, 2009

The view of Hyak from the top
Interesting Terrain


Waiting for the shuttle


It was getting late in the day and I had some energy to burn. From our house at Hyak, we can look across the valley and see a couple of runs off the close end of rampart ridge. One, I call the funnel couloir, and the other, which drops off from the summer hanglider launch point, the X run. This due to their shapes. The X is due to how they logged off the hillside. I have always looked at these runs, meaning to do them some day. However since you need a snow park permit to park at Gold Creek, I never quite got over there. Today with Francine offering to drop off and pick me up, I decided to do an exploratory tour to locate the route to the funnel run. Headed up the Ski-Tur Valley road(gold creek valley) and then branched off towards Rampart on a well defined logging road. The trail had obviously been well traveled by snowshoers and some skiers. Happily the logging road led right up to the base of the Funnel couloir. Due to dusk, I started at 3:30, I didn't have time to do the Funnel, but thought I could make it up to the hanglider launch site. Connected logging roads for an easy tour to the top. Switched to down hill and made the very steep jaunt back down to the road. Some very nice terrain. Will definitely be back!


No comments: