Feb 22, Funnel Coolie

The Funnel Run

Greg carves up the top.

Kevin finding some soft snow


This is where it gets interesting. Gold creek can be seen at the bottom of the valley.




Well I hadn't seen Greg in quite a while. Unfortunately between the restaurant, the bad snow year, and his dad falling ill, he has not been able to ski much. So, with the weather calling for rain on Sunday, I did not really expect to see him. I was having a nice breakfast of french toast and bacon with Francine when, at 8:57, I get a call from Greg. "Hey I am on the Alpental road. Are you ready to ski?" I quickly invited him over to the house, and started to shower and get my gear together. Greg was not too picky on what he wanted to ski, so I took him to the house window and pointed out the Funnel Run across the valley. I had lived at Hyak for ten years, and still had not skied what looked to be an excellent ski line. I had scoped out the approach last week, so quickly cruised up to the base of the funnel. The snow was about 4" deep of crusty snow. Skinning went quick, and soon we were at the crux, below the funnel. We strapped the skis on our packs and booted up the spout of the funnel. Once out of the constriction, we were able to put our skis back on and skin up to the ridge. We ended up at the top right corner of the funnel. After a quick peek over the backside, and a little lunch we started our ski descent. First turns were a little sketch, then we caught some nice powder lingering near the trees. We gingerly skied through the constriction, where an exposed rock demanded careful navigating, then we enjoyed some smooth snow, warmed by the nice weather, down to the logging road approach. Good to ski a new line! Nice to finally tour with Greg.




No comments: