January 4, Alpental side-country

I was planning to take today off.   I thought I might even take advantage of the chair lift system at Summit West, and ski with my sister and family.    I had touched base with Crispin Prahl the day before and mentioned hooking up.  In the morning I shot him an email saying I was going lift skiing.   At the same time, he was texting me about starting at 9:00.   Well, powder skiing won out.   Sorry sis.    As I write this, I can feel the effects of my cramping legs.   I did fine out on the hill.  It wasn't until I got home that both legs started to cramp.   It was a very good day!   Four to Six inches of new snow made for great skiing.  We skied a lot.  Dropped down knoll 2, then 2 laps down into stokes bowl.  One into Martin's, then out via Lower I, where we hooked up with Scott.  We are still staying pretty much above treeline, perhaps skiing 2/3 of the way down , so the runs are a little shorter, but it has been fun to hit all the different lines that drop down out of the alpine.  Coverage is pretty darn good and we could probably ski our way all the way down through the lower hillside, but going home via the ski area has made for good finishes.

Crispin


Tele-turn

Kevin with Geeb climbing out of Martin's Bowl



No comments: